Advantages of Translation
The Internet has been a great leveller in connecting people from across the globe. It has also enabled businesses to go global by connecting with customer groups in various countries.
Despite all the advantages that the Internet has brought about, language still remains a challenge for businesses to reach a larger audience. Though English is perceived as a global language of business communication, many countries still prefer to converse in their local tongue. Translation has helped bridge this divide to a large extent by brining diverse groups of linguistically and culturally different people together, enabling them to communicate effectively.
Why Is Translation So Important?
- Only about 10% of people in the world speak English. There exists a large opportunity to reach out to markets other than the English-speaking ones, with the help of translation services.
- Internet adoption around the world is increasing; people are transacting over the net much more than they did before. Hence, it is important to translate your web content into other languages.
- Many developing markets such as China, Brazil, Mexico etc., have little business communication in English. People in such countries continue to communicate in their own language. Translation helps in cutting across language barriers and interacting with people in such countries.
- Literary texts, books and novels need to be translated into various languages so that they can be read by people in other countries.
Advantages of Translation
- Reach a wider audience: Why stay local when your products and services can meet the needs of a larger audience? Translation helps your business open up to markets that you thought didn't exist before.
- Internet commerce: Operating a business online is not uncommon; even if your website is targeted towards a particular set of people in a country, you'd often find people from many corners of the world visiting your website. Translating the content on your website into various languages will help visitors from all over the world understand your offering better and will help increase your sales revenues.
- Technical translation: Many companies have very technical text and specific jargons that need to be translated; this is usually seen in technical manuals, product brochures, etc. Translation helps convert technical documentation into various languages, thus helping users in diverse locations understand jargons better, in their own language.
- Understanding cultural identities and differences: Translation unassumingly offers an insight into the culture and attitudes of another country. For instance, when reading English books from authors such as Shakespeare, Agatha Christie or George Orwell in any other language, we learn something about the culture or mentality. A similar experience can be had when watching foreign language movies with English subtitles.
- Travel and Tourism: Perhaps one of the greatest impacts that translation has had is in the area of tourism. Translation has enabled people from one country truly appreciate and understand the culture and beauty of another country.
Thus, it can be said that translation has several benefits; it has suddenly made the big world seem so small.
Back to Articles
- Follow us on: